The September 11th & 12th event is CANCELLED
One day only on your regular collection day.
Monday, April 27 or Tuesday, April 28 or Wednesday, April 29
DUE TO CONCERNS OVER COVID-19 the April 24 & 25th event is CANCELLED
Also Cancelled – Sept 11 & 12, 2020
Stay tuned for updates here or through the Facebook page: @Care2ShareAntigonish
- September 14 & 15 – Care 2 Share Town of Antigonish
- September 16, 17, 18 Town of Antigonish Residential Bulky Waste Collection
- Watch for details on a Special Event in October
Items included in the Electronics Recycling Products Association Program (EPRA) such as TVs, printers and computers, will NOT be collected from curbside. If you have these items, they need to be delivered to an official drop-off location for recycling. Program details are found on their website at http://recycleMYelectronics.ca/NS/
The Care 2 Share give away campaign is a two-day campaign where residents leave unwanted (but perfectly usable) items at their curb with a “FREE” sign so other residents can take what they want. It’s treasure hunting, it’s free, it’s easy, and it keeps unwanted but useful items out of the landfill.
Reusing items instead of discarding them reduces landfill costs, and is a great way to both de-clutter and to find some great treasures of your own.
This event happens rain or shine.
How does it work?
1. Decide what you have that is good and usable that you would like to give away for FREE
2. Place re-usable household items at the curb in front of your home during the weekend – no earlier than 7AM on the Friday.
3. Only place items to the curb that are free and clearly marked with a “FREE” sign
4. Then sit back and watch your old stuff be adopted by your neighbours, or complete strangers scouring the town for discarded gems
5. Consider sharing your finds and connect with other treasure hunters on the Care 2 Share Facebook page and use the hashtag #Care2ShareAntigonish
6. If no one picks up your stuff, remember that unclaimed items must be removed from the curb by dusk on the Saturday.
7. Consider donating unclaimed items to charitable organizations, and place any bulky waste garbage for collection on your bulky waste collection day. One day only, the following week.
Follow Curbside Give Away etiquette for placing items at the curb
• place signs on items with the word “FREE”
• items should still be in good condition for re-use or able to be repaired
• keep items you do not want to give away close to your house, or inside to avoid confusion
• don’t discard items on another person’s lawn
Follow Curbside Give Away etiquette for treasure hunters
• respect private property – don’t walk or drive on people’s lawns or gardens
• take only the items at the curb marked “FREE”
• obey traffic laws at all times (e.g., don’t block traffic, park illegally, or block people’s driveways with your vehicle)
• watch out for children
What can be placed at the curb?
• books, CDs, and DVDs
• furniture and small appliances
• sports equipment and toys
• yard and gardening equipment
• kitchen gadgets, dishes, cutlery, pots and pans
• unwanted gifts
• construction material including drywall and hardware
• holiday decorations
What shouldn’t be placed at the curb?
• items that are not re-usable (place garbage for collection out on your regular garbage collection day/week). Bulky waste collection in the town of Antigonish is the following week
• items that could be infested with bed bugs (e.g., mattresses, furniture, bedding)
• visit the Consumer Product Safety Bureau to find out about items that aren’t safe to give away
Certain electronics items are not accepted for curbside collection and must be taken to a drop-off location
What can I do with left over items?
• use the Town of Antigonish Waste Wizard to determine what to do with a left over item
• donate to local charitable, non-profit organizations, or community groups, or to textiles/clothing recyclers like AFTeRwear.ca
• add the item to the Antigonish Freecycle Facebook page
• post your item for sale on Kijiji or another similar website
• post your item for trade or sale on local buy and sell Facebook Groups
The 2015 Waste Reduction Week in Canada will be celebrated the week of October 19 to 25, 2015. It’s a perfect opportunity for those who have made change and were successful at reducing waste to congratulate yourself. We’d also love to hear more about it on our Facebook page. This week is also an important time for those who continue to ignore the impact of their needless consumer behaviors to rethink and implement change.
Drop by Antigonish Market Square (Antigonish Mall) 133 Church St, this week to witness an artistic display titled Family Heirlooms. Learn more about the display from the following news release.